Wednesday 24 June 2009

Opening Blog

Well, that is me nearly ready to go. For those who don't know I am going to Malawi on Saturday for four weeks with Link Community Development. I am going along with thirteen other teachers from throughout Scotland to work in schools in Malawi to help bring about improvements in education there by working with the staff in school and delivering support and training to them.

I will be working in Gosheni Full Primary School with the 9 members of staff and nearly1200 pupils!

I am living with the Palimbiya family. They have 3 children: Bikutala aged 8, Tanika aged 5 and Timothy aged 19 months. Mr and Mrs Palimbiya are farmers. Only Mr Palimbiya speaks english.

I have a huuge suitcase full of gifts to take to the school and the family. Thank you to all who have supported me by giving donations. Especially thank you to my school for taking part in a fundraising walk - you all did so well. With the money raised I am able to take out a parachute and small balls for playing games, pencil cases for all the staff, some books, a Scottish and Malawian flag and some inflatable globes.

I will send regular text messages home for Michael to put on here for me - I have no access to email while I am away - Hopefully the messages will give you a taste of what I am doing and experiencing.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you managed to find a phone charger! Great idea to keep us in touch...(and we can experience it all from the comfort of our own home without having to find a skirt to wear!!!)
    I'm sure you will give so much, learn so much and have so much to share on your return.
    Stay safe and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete